John Tuttle

This information is contributed by Keith Redmon

John Tuttle was born in Fairfax VA on March 22, 1761.  
He married Anna Barbara Elizabeth Frey (Fry) on June 16, 1783 in what is now 
Stokes County (Surry County then).  He died September 30, 1840 and is buried 
in the Frey Cemetery in Stokes County, NC.  The following are some of the papers 
from his Pension Application which are on file…there are over 60 pages.  The 
Joseph Winston mentioned is Major Joseph Winston.  His widow, Anna Barbara 
(or Barbary as it is written on the official document) applied for and received a widow’s 
pension until her death.

 Revolutionary War Pension Application.

TUTTLE, John -- [1810 Stokes Co. census, p. 509] 

Declaration of John Tuttle, 75 -- Stokes Co., NC -- 13 June 1836 -- resident of Stokes. 
John entered service as a private volunteer militia soldier. He enrolled in Capt. Peter 
Oneals company in Rockingham Co., NC, about Easter 1778. When there was a 
special call for soldiers to be in ready at a moments notice to march in order to rout 
tories, he being one of the men taken from Capt Oneals company to make up a 
company commanded by Capt. Philips of Rockingham County. Capt Philips marched 
his company different directions & ways through Guilford County and Rowan to the 
Yadkin River, thence down the country into Randolph County to Deep River. He was in 
service at least two months and returned home to Rockingham. 

He was then drafted out Capt. Peter Oneals company in Rockingham County for a tour 
of three months in August 1778 or 1779. He was a private in a company commanded by
a Capt. Wm. Wilson and marched to Guilford Courthouse, NC, and there they joined Cl. 
Paisleys regiment, then marched to Stones Ferry on Salisbury and were joined to Gen. 
Davidson's Brigade and remained some time at Salisbury, then marched to or near the 
borders of South Carolina, and took up what was called headquarters at a place called 
12 mile creek, where we took 18 tories. Col. Paisley and other officers had them tried 
by court martial. This applicant was one of the guards. Nine of the prisoners were acquitted 
and the other nine were sentenced to receive the lash and did receive them on their bare 
backs and to serve twelve months in the regular service. Shortly after, information came 
that the British Army was advancing towards and near _____________and marched to --- 
and back through Salisbury and crossed the Yadkin River where we met with an army of 
Virginia troops. There we recrossed the river and marched back after the British until we 
came to our old stand at 12 Mile Creek near the Catawba River, the British having crossed 
25 miles below in South Carolina. A detachment of our troops was sent from headquarters 
to watch and guard at a point on the River to prevent the British from coming over again. 
There Tuttle's time of service ended with many others and they marched back to 
headquarters at 12 Mile Creek and received a written discharge from Col. Paisley for three 
months and ten days and then returned home to his father's in Surry Co., NC, near Major 
Winston's residence. 

There being a special call for horse or mounted men, he turned out a volunteer and furnished 
his own horse, and firearms were found for him in Jan. 1787. This was in a company 
commanded by Capt. Robert Hill of Surry Co. under Major Joseph Winston. They marched 
from Major Winston's down through Rockingham and into Caswell Co., NC. On the route 
they defeated a parcel of Tories and then joined Col. or Gen. Pickens light horse troops. 
We were about 500 strong, and Tarleton the British commander with 800 dragoons lay a few 
miles below us towards Hillsboro. One day a party or all of them advanced on us when we 
retreated a few miles and formed for battle. Tuttle was previously wounded on the instep by a 
rough shod horse and was commanded with others to guard some horses in the rear. When 
the attack commenced they immediately broke on the right wing which soon became a 
general disorderly retreat with the loss of two men killed. I with part of the men got into 
Rockingham and was left to get the inflamation cured in my foot. Meanwhile the company 
had marched and had another skirmish with the British and Tories at Whitesills Mills and 
then returned home. In this service I served at least two months (part of which was under 
Capt. Oneal after recovering from the wounded foot) and Capt. Hill discharged him verbally 
after he recovered from the wound on his foot. Total services were five months 10 days a foot 
private, two months on horse. 

Interrogatories: He was born in Fairfax County, Va, Mar. 22, 1761. He was living in Rockingham 
Co., NC, during his first two tours and in Surry Co., NC, on his last. He has lived in Surry & 
Stokes County ever since in the same neighborhood (owing to the division of Surry he fell into 
the part called Stokes). He believes that Gen. Joseph W. Winston and Wm. Cox, Esq., will 
testify for him. 

Aff. Joseph W. Winston and William Cox, residing in Stokes Co., certify they are well 
acquainted with John Tuttle, he is reputed in the neighborhood to be a Rev. Soldier, and we 
concur in that opinion. 

Declaration of Barbary Tuttle, widow -- Stokes Co., NC - 11 Dec. 1843 -- age 78 - She is the 
widow of the late John Tuttle (pensioner) who was a private of infantry and dragoon in Rev. He 
lived in Stokes Co., NC, and received a pension of $25 per year since June 1836.

Back to NC Patriots Page