Robert Howe

This information is courtesy Wikipedia.
Attention to the information brought by Jim Gillgam

Robert Howe (1732 December 14, 1786) was a major general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. His great-grandfather was Moore, colonial governor of South Carolina. He owned "Howe's Point" plantation at the mouth of the Cape Fear River and "Clarendon" in Bladen County, North Carolina. Early life Born to a prominent farmer in Brunswick County, North Carolina, Howe was educated in England and, upon his return, was elected to the colonial assembly in 1764. Serving in the provincial North Carolina militia, Howe accepted a commission as a captain in 1766. He was first stationed at Fort Johnston (at the entrance of the Cape Fear River, (at the site of present-day, Southport, NC. He was later promoted to colonel of artillery during Colonial Governor Tyron's expeditions against the Regulators in April-July 1768 and April-May 1771. American Revolution In 1775, Howe was elected to the provincial congress, where he would be appointed Colonel of the 2nd North Carolina Regiment on September 1 of that year. Supported by Col. William Woodford, Howe defeated Lord Dunmore, the Royal Governor of Virginia, on December 9 at the Battle of Great Bridge. Following this victory, Howe was promoted to Brigadier General of the Continental Army on March 1, 1776, and assigned to command of the Southern Department of the Continental Army. Howe was promoted to major general on October 20, 1777, and led an expedition to St. Augustine of British Florida in the late 1777 and, facing the problem of divided campaign, the invasion would eventually force Howe's retreat. Attacking again in the spring of 1778, Howe faced similar difficulties as leading Continental forces, as he had no authority over either the Georgia and South Carolina militias. After the failure to capture St. Augustine, Howe was replaced in 1778 as commander of the Southern Department by Gen. Benjamin Lincoln. However, before Lincoln could arrive, over Christmas 1778, Howe was forced to abandon Savannah, Georgia, on December 29 after a brief battle with British forces led by Archibald Campbell. Again, Howe did not have authority over the militia until very late in the campaign and was later acquitted in a court martial exonerating him from blame of the city's capture. Serving under Gen. Anthony Wayne, Howe saw action at the Battles of Stony Point and Varplank's Point on July 16, 1779. After holding commands at West Point and the espionage network in the Hudson Highlands, Howe was transferred to the army of George Washington during a mutiny of Continental soldiers in New Jersey in January 1781. Putting down the revolt after executing two of the ringleaders, another mutiny in Philadelphia disbanded after news of Howe's approach in June 1783. Later years After the war, Howe faced severe debt although he returned to North Carolina a hero. He was elected to the state assembly before his sudden death on December 14, 1786. As a man, Howe was something of a playboy and won a reputation as a horrid womanizer. More than a few of his comrades considered him to be very pompous. His chief failing, a strange one considering his political background, was his lack of ability to get along with a number of state and local politicians, including Christopher Gadsden with whom he fought a duel. On the other hand, Howe did retain the support of a number of national political leaders, including George Washington and Henry Laurens.

Back to NC Patriots Page